Thursday, November 18, 2021

Third Blogging Anniversary

 I started blogging three years ago today. It's always nice being able to write about baseball cards and have people read what I write. 

Last year I used my blogging anniversary as a chance to reminiscence about my early days of collecting, so I think I'll do that again. (My mom finds it funny that I'm reminiscing about things when I'm still young.)

For a time I think that the only place I bought cards at was a card shop called Nick's, which I still visit today. It was owned by Nick, who was super nice. Once he gave me a complete 1990 Upper Deck set because he liked how I was interested in the older players. Not a ton of monetary value, but it's a nice set and I thought it was really cool. It's also funny because though my dad mostly collected from 1970 to 1975, he briefly returned around 1990 and bought tons of Upper Deck packs trying to complete the set. He never got close, and I got it for free. 

I would frequently purchase 20-card repacks of vintage cards in good shape for $20. I would have been able to get many of those cards for less than a dollar on COMC, but because I didn't know about COMC at the time I would have just spent that money on less worthwhile things. Like buying retail packs, which wasn't cost-efficient even back then.

Another thing I really liked was that there would be over-production era packs for a quarter each, which were fun to open. Nick sold the shop in 2016, and I was very sad. The new owner is nice, (he's the one who gave me a 1933 Goudey for free last year), but I still miss Nick. 

Thanks to my parents for, as Yogi said, making this night necessary, and also supporting my hobby. Thanks to all my blog readers and commenters. I don't think I'd be blogging if I didn't have people who read and commented on my posts. Writing is fun, but also hard. I now have 11 followers, up from 4 as of my second blogging anniversary, so that's nice. Thanks everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on three years! Nick sounds like a cool guy & I'm sure any card shop named Nick's would be amazing (why I think so should be obvious).

    ReplyDelete