Friday, December 24, 2021

My COMC shipment has come

 I got my COMC shipment last Saturday. I'd been buying cards for a year, so there were 178 cards, most of them vintage. I requested it 11/29 and received it 12/18, so it seems like they've fixed their shipping problems. 

I got many of them on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Actually, I was able to get better prices on 1959 Topps and related sets on Cyber Monday. Lots of them between 50 and 65 cents. 

Here they all are, organized by set:

1959 Topps towers over all the others. I got about 100 1959 Topps cards, and breezed past the 200-card goal I set back in early November. 


Casey looks like he's showing Larsen how to throw a knuckleball. 

That's Virgil Trucks' sunset card. He started out 1958 with the Athletics, but was traded to the Yankees and had a 2-1 record with a 4.54 ERA for them. 

Hall of famers are usually more expensive than what I want to pay, but these were reasonably priced and in good shape. 
Long live black-bordered cards!

Whammy Douglas and Dutch Dotterer are both amazing names. 

I focused mostly on high numbers. I was able to get most of the ones pictured for less than $1.25, and I now have 27/66 of the high numbers, so it worked well. Of course, I'm still missing all those $$ all-stars like Mantle and Aaron, and Bob Gibson, Norm Cash etc. 
The only all-stars I got were guys like this. 

I didn't just get 1959 Topps cards, obviously. I enjoyed getting some Yankees, and other favorites of mine.

Johnny Lindell on the left was my first 1948 Bowman. Lindell was a pitcher in the minor leagues, and went 23-4, 2.05 ERA in the International League in 1941. But he was just so-so in the bullpen for the Yankees in 1942, 2-1, 3.76, and was converted to the outfield in 1943. He led the league in triples in 1943 and 1944 with marks of 12 and 16, and led the league in total bases in 1944. After hitting .187 in 1950, he converted back to the mound in the Pacific Coast League. In 1952, with the Hollywood Stars, he had a 24-9 record, 2.52 ERA, and 190 strikeouts. That brought him back to the majors, where he split a season between the Pirates and Phillies. He hit .303, but was 6-17 and led the league in losses and wild pitches. 

I'm guessing that Bob Porterfield is the least known modern player to throw nine shutouts in a season. Unfortunately for him and the Yankees, he was with the Senators then.

This is an 1895 cigarette card which I got for $1.50. Has a big crease, but not in bad shape for a 126 year old card. 
To be honest, I like the back more than the front.
Hoyt!
Unfortunately, Solly Hemus wasn't as good at managing as he was at short stop. He spent two and a half years with the Cardinals, with a record of 190-192.

Marvelous Marv!

That Johnny Romano is the earliest example I've seen of batting gloves on baseball cards. 

Good ol' Wally Moon. I saw him at a card show in 2017. Autograph fees were $7, so I didn't bring a card for him to sign. But the organizer of the card show told us (me, my dad, and my sister) to go over and say hi to him. He was super nice, and signed a Beckett magazine I had with Zack Greinke on the cover. Similar to Don Mossi, Moon is a fan favorite not only because of the unibrow, but also because he was a great guy.

I got Don Mossi, a high number, for $2.65. It isn't in very good shape, but I don't have enough of his cards.

In a bit of sad irony, the last card of Eli Grba actually pictures Ryne Duren. 

With 178 cards, there's too much to fit into one post, so expect a sequel sometime next week. After my Christmas post.

Have a good Christmas Eve!



5 comments:

  1. I think it's unbelievable how cheap the 1895 cigarette card was. I also find the Johnny Lindell quite impressive.

    By the way, Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've said it a few times before on the blogs, but the Dutch Dotterer is my favorite card in the '59 set. Your set is really coming along. At the rate your going, you'll probably have it finished within a few years or so. The Mantle's will be difficult to get on a budget, but deals can still be found on off-condition examples -- you just gotta be in the right place at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of 59's! Glad your COMC package arrived in time for Christmas. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nabbed that very same '59 Early Wynn in my latest COMC order, too! Hope to show it off on the blog sometime soon. And I always love a good Hoyt sighting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. '59 was a fun set.

    Email me at QAPLAGCA at yahoo and I'll send out that Elite Senior league set. Let me know your TCDB contact too.

    ReplyDelete