Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Isiah Kiner-Falefa is a Yankee!

 Those were a weird few days. First I see that Isiah Kiner-Falefa was traded to the Twins, and I'm disappointed. I'd seen rumors of him going to the Yankees, and I was really hoping for that. I care less about the Twins than the Rangers, which is saying a lot. 

And next thing I know he's traded to the Yankees. Yes!

He looks weird without a beard.

For those who don't know why I'm so excited, I'm a big fan of Isiah because I watched him play with the Frisco Rough Riders in 2016 and 2017. As I said in a post earlier last year: 

"It seemed like every time I went to see the Rough Riders, Isiah would be playing. He was a constant, an oasis in an ever-changing roster. I have very fond memories of the P.A saying " Isiah Kiiineerrr FALEFAAAAAA!!!!!!" "

He's not a great player, but he's good. He's a very good fielder at shortstop and third base, and he's adequate at catcher. (He might be the Yankees' best option at catcher, actually.) Not much at the plate, but he's fine. 

I think that it was a good trade. I'm so glad to see Gary Sanchez go. He was a constant frustration. I'll miss Gio Urshela. He was good, and it was also nice to have someone named Giovanny. 

But it'll be good having Josh Donaldson at third, as long as he stays healthy, and I'm obviously glad to get Isiah Kiner-Falefa. 

Can't wait to get my first Yankees card of him. 


5 comments:

  1. Yep, Twins traded half our infield and still expect to compete? And the quote was that they thought Kiner-Falefa could win a gold glove. Whatever...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I love attending minor league games. There always seems to be guys you remember seeing play that become plays you root for when they make it to the Bigs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll miss Gio, but it was past time for Sanchez to go. I'm not thrilled with getting a 36-year-old 3B who strikes out 150 times a year, but Kiner-Falefa seems like an intriguing pickup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pickups are going to mean good news for the Yankees. I do agree with you, however, that they'll have a tough time getting a catcher. Once again, you cannot say enough about the value of a good, durable catcher...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always fun when your favorite team acquires a player you were already following. He's not a 6' 7" monster who mashes 40 homers and whiffs 200 times, so that's a nice change :D

    ReplyDelete