Saturday, November 18, 2023

Coin on card: Cliff Johnson's Silver Half-Dollar

 Hi y'all. It's been a really long time since I last posted. I haven't stopped collecting, but my focus has been elsewhere. 

But lately I've been looking through my cards and finding things I want to talk about, so here I am, starting up this blog again after a year-long hiatus.

Looking through my stack of 1975 Minis this week, I noticed that Cliff Johnson wore a Benjamin Franklin silver half-dollar on a chain around his neck. This is the first time I've ever noticed money making an appearance on a baseball card.


     A slightly closer look:
                                                                                                                                                                                                   
And here's a Benjamin half-dollar for comparison:


That's really all I have for tonight.

I'll probably keep posting "stuff I noticed" posts like this, and I might also chronicle some of the cards I've acquired while my blog was sleeping.

Thanks for reading! 

5 comments:

  1. Interesting. The Franklin half dollar was already discontinued for a decade by 1975, so it's a wonder why Cliff Johnson would sport it there. Huh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Johnson playing with the A's when I was a kid and he always looked pissed off. I'm sure he's a nice guy. I was just young kid who judged books by their covers.

    Anyways... it'd be interesting to sit down and ask him why he chose to wear that coin around his neck... and if he wore it his entire career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a terrific find. You have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This '75 lover who wrote an entire blog on the '75 set never noticed this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judging by the above comments, you might've just found your new niche :)

    ReplyDelete