Thursday, July 18, 2019

More nickel box adventures: Part 2


( I started writing this post last Tuesday,but didn't do much.Then we left on vacation, and I haven't had much time on the computer since.)

I was on cloud nine going through that nickel box last month. There was a pretty much endless assortment of awesome cards, like the above TCS Ty Cobb.
This definitely was a surprise. It is probably the heaviest card I own, and when I drop it, it clangs. They don't call it Leaf Steel for nothing.
I'm kinda hoping that Bartolo Colon get's back in pro ball. Baseball should always have a couple  45  year old pitchers surviving on pure guile.
The only reason I get DK is because of the player selections. I don't exactly have a large amount of Tony Lazzeri's.

On April 13. 2009, Nick Swisher came in relief in a blow out loss, pitching 1 shutout inning, with 1 hit, 1 walk, and 1 strikeout. I think there should be more cards of position players pitching. One reason is that it's easy to trace the games, which is nice, but it's also just cool.
I also got about 4-500 Conlon cards for just $2 from the guy with the nickle box. At 1st I didn't really realize how good the deal was, but it was great. There were a lot of duplicates though.
Pretty nice.
I collect Randy Johnson, so this is a nice early card of him.
I also collect Chris Sale. I hope he gets back into form this year, because I at least want him to do well, if not the Red Sox. He's a great pitcher.
I got a couple of these Investor's Journal cards a while back, but I still they're  very odd. 
I got the Ty Cobb from this set a while ago, and this is a welcome addition.
I'm always happy to get Ichiro cards, and these 2 are nice. The photo for the Bowman is better, but I like the Leaf design more, so it kind of evens out.
This was nice to get. The SABR baseball card blog recently had a post about this set, which was for a game, if I remember correctly.
And for the last card of today, this unique Orel Hershiser.

Thanks for reading!






1 comment:

  1. I love the 1996 Leaf Preferred Steel cards. I built the set back in the day. The box is super heavy. If you threw it at someone, it'd do some damage.

    ReplyDelete